Thai Spicy Fried Rice
- 10-12 Shrimps (clean and deveined)
- Cooked Rice (as per your servings)
- 1 Chicken Breast (cut into cubes)
- 1\2 packet of mixed vegetables (carrot/green beans/baby corn)
- some scallion (spring onion)
- 3-4 grated garlic
- 2-3 Dried red chilies
- 1 tbsp. of red chili paste
- salt, pepper
- Soy sauce, Fish sauce & Sesame seed oil
- 5-6 chopped mushrooms
- a Quarter of a Cabbage (roughly chopped)
- Fish seasoning
- Olive oil/ Butter – for Cooking
- Some Asian chive (La queue L’ail)
- 1 tsp. tomato ketchup or 1 tsp. sugar
- 1-2 tsp. lemon juice
- 2-3 eggs (beaten with salt, pepper and a dash of grated garlic)
Preparation method for the Rice Sauce:
3-4 tbsp. of soy sauce
3 tsp. of olive oil
3-4 tbsp. sesame seed oil
3-4 tbsp. fish sauce
½ tsp. of chili paste (if you want it spicier you can add a full spoon)
Mix all the above mentioned ingredients in a bowl and set aside
Preparation method for the Chicken:
Marinate the chicken cubes with salt and pepper, a bit of crushed garlic, ½ tsp. ginger & garlic paste, 1 tsp. sesame seed oil, ½ tsp. of fish seasoning, ½ tsp. fish sauce, and a pinch of bicarbonate powder, 1\2 tsp. of chili paste, in a bowl and set aside.
- Yes you read it well. The reason why I’m using bicarbonate is to tenderize the chicken, as chicken breast is usually dry when cooked. The bicarbonate will make the chicken juicy and soft.
For the marinating of Shrimps:
For the shrimps you can choose to leave the as a whole, but I prefer to cut them in small pieces.
Marinate the pieces in salt and pepper, 1\2 tsp. sesame seed oil, crushed garlic and ½ tsp. fish seasoning. Mix well and set aside.
Preparation for the Ingredients:
In a non-stick hot pan, add some oil, and scrambled your beaten eggs. Once the scrambled eggs are ready, remove them from the pan and set aside. In the same pan, add your mixed veggies. At this point you do not have to add more oil as we do not need much oil for the veggies. Add salt and pepper as per your taste, and ½ tsp. of the crushed garlic, a tsp. of the Rice sauce and stir until the veggies are well sautéed.
- Now! This step is all based on your preferences. You can choose to cook your veggies well or you can leave them half cooked, so that they add a crunchy taste to your rice. I prefer them crunchy so I will only cook them for only 3-4 mins only, just to infuse the flavor well.
Again, in the same pan, add some crushed garlic and stir in your marinated chicken. Once the chicken is almost cooked, add your shrimps, and 2 tsp. of the Rice sauce. Once the chicken and shrimps are well sautéed. Removed them and set aside.
- Shrimps do not need much time to cook, as they cook fast. It will also preserve the taste of the shrimp and leave them moist and soft to eat.
Now, we are getting into the most interesting part of the Fried Rice.
The reason why I didn’t change or switch to other pan is because I wanted to save the entire flavor (if that makes sense). I wanted all the flavors from the scrambled eggs, to the sautéed veggies and chicken-shrimps to penetrate well into the rice. This will add extra flavor to the rice as well.
Another important point is, to please make sure that your pan is hot, before you start cooking. Like very hot!
Preparation of the Fried Rice:
In the hot pan, add some oil, the remaining crushed garlic, the chili paste, the sesame seed oil, the Asian chive (about 1-2 tsp.) the Soy sauce, fish sauce, the fish seasoning and the dried red chilies, stir well for 2-3 seconds and add your cooked rice. Once you add your rice, pour in 1tsp. of ketchup or sugar and continue to stir well. Add the special sauce to the rice and keep stirring.
Gradually add the eggs and another tsp. of the sauce and stir.
Add your veggies along with the sauce again and stir, till you add the chicken/shrimps sautéed and stir.
- At this stage you can choose to add more salt or pepper if you want, as it depends on how salty you eat.
Add the scallion, the remaining Asian chive and the sauce and keep stirring well for about 3-4 minutes. And it’ll be ready to serve.
Garnish with some chopped scallion or coriander leaves and red chilies. Bon appetite.
- If you noticed smoke coming out from the rice, this is an indication that your fried rice is ready to be served.
I hope you all enjoyed it.
Please tag me in a picture or DM me on Instagram if you made it.
Happy Eating buddies!